Tuesday, March 4, 2014

The Best Tomato Soup Ever. Really.

The first time I tasted this soup it was on Christmas Eve with my family a few years ago. The soup was intended to be served before the main course and treated like an appetizer. It was so delicious, that I wanted to take my tiny bowl back to the kitchen and bring the entire pot back with me. I may or may not have slurped when I ate it. As for the main course, I have no memory whatsoever of what it was.

Campbell's tomato soup will never again touch my lips, unless of course, I am bound hand and foot and force fed. But that's the only way it will ever cross my lips again. Sorry, Campbell's. No, actually I'm not. Your soup is gross. 

This soup is easy, delicious, freezes beautifully and is kid-friendly. My kids call this their favorite soup ever. 

Tomato Basil Soup

5 T butter 
2 medium onions diced (about 1.5 cups)
2 t kosher salt
1/2 t freshly ground black pepper
29 oz of diced canned tomatoes 
3 T sugar
4 C. water
finely chopped fresh basil- dried works too :)

Directions: 
Melt the butter. Add the onions, salt and pepper and stir well. Cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until the onions are softened, but before they begin the brown. Add the tomatoes and sugar and stir well. Continue cooking for about 5 minutes then add the water. (if using dried basil, add it now) Bring this to a simmer and cook, stirring often, for about 15 minutes. 

If you have an immersion blender, use it to blend your soup into a smooth puree. Otherwise, use a blender to puree the tomatoes. I highly recommend the investment into an immersion blender. Once your soup is a lovely, smooth puree, return it to your pot and add your fresh basil and add salt or pepper if needed. 

Because I sometimes find the soup to be a bit assertive from all the acid in the tomatoes, I usually add a small amount of milk to mine. It tones down the acid and rounds out the soup in the most creamy, delightful way. You can also use heavy cream, which is even more creamy and delightful. 

This soup is best served piping hot with slices of sourdough or batard bread (found at Dekalb Farmer's Market) that are slathered in butter, topped with cheese and put under the broiler just until the cheese is melted and the edges of the bread are starting to crisp. 

This is a recipe you will want to go ahead and print out and put somewhere safe and easily accessible because I promise, you will make it over and over again. 

And if your bowl is too small, and you want to get the whole pot, I completely understand. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment