Saturday, March 22, 2014

How To Save Your Battery Life by 50% In One Easy Step

I've been through every tutorial on how to save the battery life on my iphone. I turned things off, I did the periodic shut down of the 14 things I'd have open for hour upon hour, I even tried dimming my screen. But that made it too hard to see, so I turned it back up to nice and bright and just charged my phone every few hours.

And then, I solved the riddle of the always depleted iphone battery and figured out how to extend it's daily life significantly. You can all pin this on Pinterest and thank me later because this truly does work. 

I deleted my Facebook app. 

It was that simple. And it was that significant. The thing I've discovered these past few days is that my life is plenty busy without dealing with your busy life too! Before I took this drastic step, I'd find myself reaching for my phone all the time, especially when I was in the car. Red light? Do a quick update... Carpool? Update. Don't want to unbuckle everyone out of their car seats just yet? Two updates. 

It was getting ridiculous. I would find myself thinking in facebook status updates, phrasing and rephrasing for maximum humor. I was becoming what I didn't want to be, that person with their phone always in their face, finding it more interesting or appealing that the sweet faces of my kids who have seen the backside of my Otterbox way more than they ever should have. 

The more time I've spent away from facebook, the more I've come to realize that you probably don't care that my chicken just laid an egg. Or if I made delicious muffins for breakfast. Or that I stepped on the business end of a rake and it made me so mad that I hit it with the broom I was holding. Ok, no, that was truly funny. It was worth sharing. But still. You get my point. And the flip side of that is, that although I love my 483 friends on facebook (or however many of you there are) I don't need to know if you also made delicious muffins, or if you had a bad dream, or if there was a sale somewhere and you got everything for free with all of your coupons. Those statuses always frustrate me. How do you do that, coupon people, how??!? 

The fact is, the more I take in of your life, the more I miss of mine. And I don't want to miss it because it involves 4.5 of the most precious people God ever created and He gave them to me. The time is short and precious, and they are the people I really want to spend it with. 

So, for now, I've made facebook a little less accessible and in return, I've found that not only is my battery life drastically improved, so is my real life. 

If you need to put down your phone so you can pick up your life, start with that facebook app. You won't regret it. And when those sweet babies are in bed and your time is your own, you can browse and nose around to your hearts content. 

And, in case you were wondering, I made waffles for breakfast, have been eating chia seeds in my Greek yogurt every day and can't tell a difference...should I? Created by hand a masterpiece run for my chickens and cried almost the whole time I was doing it because I got mad and Jacob told me to "act like a mom" after I hit a tree with the hammer, almost broke my water watching Jacob's baseball game today because it was so stressful (I fear these games will lead to bed rest), and now plan to watch a rerun of Downton Abbey. 

I don't know what this is, but it seemed appropriate somehow. 


1 comment:

  1. I admire you for what you are doing!!! Everything you said is true and for one have thought also how much time I spend on facebook lol. Good job my friend!!! Nealie

    ReplyDelete