Sunday, March 16, 2014

Yoga Pants Should Be Used for Yoga. And Bathroom Cleaning Day. That's All.

Kaylen told Tony a story at supper the other night. It went something like this: "Once, mommy was a beautiful princess. Then she got married." And that was the end of the story. I snorted when I heard it, "that's about right, sister," I thought to myself.


Thinking on it later, I realized she made a very important observation that moms everywhere need to note. The girls we were back when we were thinner and younger and better dressed and put together every time we were out in public are not who we are now (ok, so some of you always look great no matter what, this is for the rest of us). There simply isn't time in the day to be that girl anymore. And, if I'm honest, I care less about every hair being in place now than I did ten years ago. It matters to a different degree today. But it still matters. And that's my point today. 

While I don't mind a yoga pants kind of day every now and again, and there are days when yoga pants are what I slept in and then wore all day too, I believe it would be negligent to our children to do this every day. Why? Because it is our job to teach our boys and girls what true beauty is. 

It is our job to model modest, honest, realistic beauty. Because if we don't, our boys will be looking for supermodels for wives and our girls will be hungry waifs looking for approval in the size of her jeans and the number on the scale. This is how the world sees beauty. And it's got it all wrong. 

Either we teach them now, or the world will later. With a much higher price to pay. 

We know that true beauty radiates from the inside, a happy and joyful heart beams a smile like sunshine. But sometimes, it doesn't hurt to add a little blush and to put on real pants too. 


No comments:

Post a Comment