Sunday, June 9, 2013

Once upon a time I Bumped into Myself

Yesterday I started cleaning out our garage. I don't know why I bother, because even now, not even 24 hours after I started, certain little people have already been out there making a mess. Nevertheless, that was my project yesterday.

With all our junk, it was a big job. I shuffled, sorted, threw away and made a pile of "things to put somewhere" which is still sitting where I left it. And will probably stay there until I clean out the garage again. I actually love orderliness and organization, but no one else around here seems to, so I feel powerless to do it all for five people all the time. Only when I get fed up. 

Part of my organization scheme was to put the dog food in a large trashcan and the chicken food in a small one, so I loaded up the car and we went to Home Depot. I got everything I needed (except for some posts to tie my tomato plants to, which means another trip...sigh) and headed to check out. Of course, I got one of the big trash cans that didn't have a price tag on it, so I had to wait for the lady to call  back to lawn and garden and then wait for them to return her call with the correct sku. While we were waiting a lady came walking in the door with her two teenage daughters. I did a double take because she looked familiar and I felt shock ripple through me to discover it was me. Me with my two big girls dressed for their softball tournament, one as tall as me. Me with my almost grown daughters probably thinking about college and boyfriends and prom dresses. Me with girls who can drive themselves places, tuck themselves in bed and don't need a diaper change or a bottom wiped (thankfully.) 

I turned back to my buggy full of babies and just loved that moment. It will end sometime and I realized yesterday that I am going to miss it. A lot. One day I walked in the store with babies and the next out with adults. 

They won't be like this forever, but they are for today. So turn off your computer, put down your phone, no more tv....your babies are waiting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment