Friday, December 12, 2014

Are you Busy? Yes.

You would think with the experience I have under my belt with three kids already successfully raised past infancy that I would know that if my baby hasn't pooped in two days and I put her in a white outfit she will surely poop all over herself. Even as I dressed her this morning I was aware of this possibility, but all I could think of was how creamy white her pretty skin was and I did it anyway.

And now lying on the laundry room floor is that once white outfit awaiting a shower of Oxyclean. 

To answer the question I get almost daily, Yes. Yes, four is way harder than three. Your brain is so full of the little details of who ate what and when and did everyone potty that when it comes time to shop for Christmas, there is a strong likelihood that you will walk away from your baby sitting so quietly in her car seat while you agonize over whether a thirteen year old would like silver sparkly boots or plain old boring black ones. --->Not my thirteen year old, by the way, since I don't have one. And yes, she would love silver sparkly ones in case you were wondering. 

Thankfully small town shopping is accompanied by nice sales clerks who bring you your baby. 

I hang my head in shame to tell you that the very next day I walked away again. But this time I remembered on my own and no one had to bring her to me. 

It's that easy to forget about a baby, especially when they aren't crying. So, I gently remind you that while the shopping and giving is so much fun, it's not the best part. Don't forget the Baby who changed the world. Let the giving and receiving be a smaller part of the big picture of Christmas. 

Cooking and baking, parties and programs. Candy canes, eggnog and cookies. Wrapping and taping, surprising and delighting,  all good things in their proper place. But in the swirl of busy and the bliss of the season, don't forget the Baby. 






No comments:

Post a Comment